Seared Market Fish and Shaved Beet Salad
“I was inspired by the importance of bees and how they are intrinsically woven into the eco system. Pollination helps approximately 30% of the entire world’s crops and about 90% of wild plants depend on cross-pollination. Honey, is a flavour that is silky and delicate without being too sweet. It’s the perfect binder for sauces, dressings or marinades.”
Watch Chef Daniel Holloway prepare his honeybee inspired fresh spring dish in this video.
- • 2 Candy Stripe Beets, shaved
- • 3-4 Radishes, shaved
- • 1 Shallot, fine dice
- • 1 Carrot, shaved
- • 1 bulb of Garlic, minced
- • 4 Cherry Tomatoes
- • ½ bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
- • 1 Tbl of Olive Oil
- • Couple Splashes of White Wine Vinegar or Verjuice
- • Salt
- • Bee Pollen
Marinade for Fish
- • 4 Juniper Berries, fine chop
- • 1 Tsp of Pink Peppercorn, fine chop
- • 1 Tsp of Honey
- • 1 Tsp of Mustard Seed
- • 3 Tbl Dijon
- • 3 Tbl Vegetable Oil
- • Pinch of Salt
- 1: Shave carrots, radishes and beets using a mandolin, quarter cherry tomatoes, chop parsley and combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- 2: Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl, whisk together.
- 3: Rub marinade onto a choice fillet of sustainably sourced market fish.
- 4: Heat pan on high heat, once hot sear the fish on both sides. Turn down heat to low-medium, flip fish skin side down and cover.
- 5: Cook fish thoroughly and serve with shaved salad
- 6: Top with a touch of bee pollen
Recipe courtesy of Chef Daniel Holloway of Urban Acorn Catering
Urban Acorn, a sustainable Catering company & pantry style Market founded by Chef Daniel Holloway and his 'Boss Lady' partner Marie Fitrion. Their mostly plant-based 'Flexitarian' approach to cuisine, allows them to seamlessly create menus to both omnivores and vegans. Their philosophy is simple, they believe food should unite, not divide people. urbanacorn.ca