Real Food for Real Kids–Granola Wheels
This healthy summer snack recipe is full of nutritious ingredients, sure to keep busy kids fuelled through all of their summer activities. Adults can enjoy ‘em, too—it’s an amazing on-the-go treat to stash in your purse or gym bag.
Makes: 15 wheels
1 ½ cups rolled oats
2 cups quick cooking oats
3 Tbs sultana raisins
¾ cup organic brown rice crispies
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup canned navy beans (drained)
1 large egg
¾ cups brown sugar
½ cups sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbs chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, process half of this mix in a food processor.
3. Combine all the wet ingredients in a food processor.
4. Mix all the ingredients (wet and dry) in a bowl.
5. Form dough into a log, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 30 min.
6. Cut log into 15 two-inch rounds (think puck size) and bake for 15 minutes or until edges turn golden.
7. Cool on a rack, and then Frisbee toss them into your kids’ mouths.
• These wheels freeze brilliantly. Double the recipe and store them for post-soccer game treats.
• Get an even bigger nutrient boost by adding walnuts, pecans, seeds, dried fruit, or shredded coconut.
Real Food for Real Kids is a Toronto-based catering company that aims to reconnect children and families to real food by providing delicious and healthy meals and snacks – made fresh from scratch.