Real Food for Real Kids—Better than Butter Chicken
Intrigue your palate with this fantastically fragrant, healthy Sri Lankan Chicken recipe (or, as we like to call it: Better than Butter Chicken). We promise you’ll end up with full bellies and happy kids.
1.16 kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6-8)
2¼ cup onions, diced
1½ tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1½ tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup tomato paste
1 cup coconut milk
¾ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp ground cumin
¾ tsp ground ginger
¾ tsp ground coriander
Pinch dry chilies
1½ tsp sea salt
1. Start by chopping chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a medium pot, over medium heat, caramelize the onions and garlic in the butter (about 20 minutes).
3. Add the chicken, cover the pot and cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
4. Uncover pot, add the remaining ingredients (one at a time, or mix them together in a bowl and add all at once) and bring to a simmer.
5. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has the perfect consistency for your beautiful family/friends/guests of honour.
6. Service with basmati rice with a side of cooling raita or plain yoghurt.
• If you like heat, this is a dish that can handle an extra shot of chili.
Real Food for Real Kids is a Toronto-based catering company that aims to reconnect children and families to real food by providing delicious, healthy, all-natural meals and snacks – made fresh from scratch.